Home News Nkolbisson Tragedy: Minister Condemns ‘Ignoble Acts’ As Investigation Continues Into Heartbreaking Family Deaths

Nkolbisson Tragedy: Minister Condemns ‘Ignoble Acts’ As Investigation Continues Into Heartbreaking Family Deaths

by Baketu Anu
Minister of Women's Empowerment and the Family. Madam Marie-Therese Abena Ondoa

By Etienne Mainimo Mengnjo

Cameroon’s Minister of Women’s Empowerment and the Family, Marie-Thérèse Abena Ondoa, has strongly condemned what she described as “ignoble acts” following a devastating family tragedy in the Nkolbisson neighborhood of Yaoundé, where a mother allegedly killed her three young children before taking her own life.

In a communiqué issued on February 17, the Minister expressed profound shock and sorrow over the incident, which occurred the previous day. She described the deaths as deeply distressing and a painful reminder of the need to strengthen protection and support systems for vulnerable families.

“The Minister is deeply shocked by this family drama and regrets all these barbaric acts that undermine the life, dignity and fundamental rights of the human being in general and of the child in particular,” the statement read.

Minister Abena Ondoa extended her condolences to the bereaved family and called for heightened vigilance and collective responsibility to ensure that no child falls victim to such tragedy again. She also underscored the importance of early intervention and community solidarity in addressing domestic distress.

Police and judicial authorities have since launched an investigation to establish the precise circumstances surrounding the incident. Officials are examining possible contributing factors, including mental health challenges, domestic pressures and other personal crises.

Preliminary reports indicate that the mother allegedly poisoned a meal shared with her three children — Gloria, aged four; Bordeaux, six; and Eden — before ingesting the same substance herself. The loss has left neighbors and relatives in deep shock, with many struggling to come to terms with the scale of the tragedy.

Family members have suggested that the woman may have been experiencing emotional and psychological distress linked to difficulties within her relationship. In a voice message circulated after the incident, a relative said the deceased had previously expressed feelings of despair and abandonment.

“I felt her mental health was affected,” the relative said. “She was going through a lot and needed support.”

A neighbor, Henri Paulin, described the scene as heartbreaking. “Even now, I cannot process this. I cannot understand how such a thing could happen. When I arrived, the children were already gone,” he said quietly.

The tragedy has reignited conversations about mental health awareness, domestic conflict resolution and the availability of counselling services for families facing emotional strain. Community members have called for stronger social support mechanisms and accessible psychological care, particularly for women experiencing isolation or distress.

As investigations continue, the community remains in mourning, grieving not only the loss of three innocent children, but also a mother whose apparent suffering ended in irreversible tragedy.

Authorities have urged the public to seek help in times of emotional crisis and to support those around them who may be silently struggling.

 

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Our Company

The Post Newspaper is a break-off from Cameroon Post, which was founded by Augustine Y. Ngalim in 1955, when Victoria (today known as Limbe) was a Fleet Street of newspapers in West Cameroon. Besides Cameroon Post, there was Cameroon Times, Cameroon Outlook, just to name these few.

Newsletter

Subscribe to our Newsletter, Let's stay updated!

Laest News

@2025 – All Right Reserved. Designed by Nexbyt Technology

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00